Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Art Festivals

 I recently attended an arts festival in Fuquay-Varina, NC.  I thoroughly enjoyed this arts festival.  After all the book signings I have done, I found this arts festival, even though I had to pay for the booth, bring my own tent, table, chairs, etc., the festival was much more successful than the book signings.
     It was a very pretty day.  My girlfriend and I set up my canopy, table, banner, chairs, books and various advertising articles.  Then off I toddled to get a coffee for myself and a coke for my girlfriend.  When I came back my girlfriend showed me the pictures she had taken of the booth.  They are posted in my photo album here on my website.  Let me know what you think about them.
     Then while I was sitting, enjoying my coffee, we waited for sales to begin.  I sent my girlfriend out to hand out business cards and bookmarks.  I stood by the table and handed out postcards and talked to many people.  I was very honest about the fact that my book is a Christian based fiction.  I had two people give me a loud harruumpphhh and stalk off.  Everyone else was very kind and congratulated me on the accomplishment of publishing my book.  I had sales.  Much more than I had at any book signings.  I also had everyone I talked to tell me they wanted to look my book up online and then many said they wanted to buy either the kindle version or the nook version.  Even though I was available to autograph my book, these people still wanted the kindle version.  I even had a couple people ask me if I would become famous like J.K. Rowling.  I just shrugged my shoulders, laughed and said that wasn't up to me.
     Three young ladies came to my table and told me they loved to write.  I encouraged them to continue writing.  If that was what they felt to do, they needed to continue their passion.  I told them, look at me.  I started writing in high school and never stopped writing.  It finally took me to my ripe middle age (okay, maybe a little more than middle age) to be published.  I told them to never give up. Never give up on your dreams.
     My girlfriend and I felt successful at the end of the day.  While we were packing up, the gentleman in the booth behind us said that his wife had sold a few paintings but the networking that had happened during the day was far more important than the sales.  He told us that these festivals are priceless.  It is the networking that is essential to be successful.  I agree with him.
     I will still continue with book signings when my publicist at Tate Publishing sends me.  However, I have signed up for another arts festival in Greensboro on July 4th and will look into arts festivals in North Carolina for the months of August, September and October.  If I do one a month, I will be happy with that.  And let's face it.  I love all the arts and crafts at these festivals.  I invariably end up purchasing something which is supporting local artists.  Oh, and the chance to talk to people plus spend time with my girlfriend is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment