Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Social Media Sights

     Before The Goblet was published, I was busy setting up and joining as many social media sites as I could. Whatever was recommended by anyone, I would jump on the band wagon and get myself signed up. I did not always read through all the requirements, but by golly, so and so recommended it so it must be a good site. Mistake, mistake, and big mistake.
     I just wanted to do everything I could to get my book out there. Unfortunately, according to the latest tally, there are approximately over 1 million books being published every year. I think I fell off the band wagon due to overcrowding. Not only that but signing up to all these social media sites and every other site for authors, was more time consuming than I had realized. It left me with very little time to work on my blog, to work on my books and have a life. I jumped off the band wagon willingly.
     Now I am scaling back my efforts. I recently closed my account at LinkedIn. Yes, there were a number of groups for authors. There were many times when people would start a discussion asking authors to post the name of their book. By the time I would get the link and think about adding my name to the list, I was number 542. I would then stop and think, okay? Who is this benefiting? Who would actually look at the books? Other authors? Or potential readers? I was getting lost in the crowd. After talking to a number of authors at a recent writer's conference, I felt my decision to close the LinkedIn account was a good one. My inbox has been greatly reduced in emails.
     LinkedIn did have one or two good groups that would talk about writing. There were a number of writers who would ask valid questions. Responses would be good. However, once again, by the time I got the link, I was number 124 and I felt like my comment would not even be seen. I would read through all the comments and, at times, wonder, wow! talk about egos!
     LinkedIn is a good site for people who are looking for jobs, to develop their careers and to network with other professionals. I am not saying authors are not professionals but I am not certain LinkedIn is the site for authors or aspiring authors. It just felt like the sales on Black Friday. Very intense and I was getting knocked down and pushed out of the way.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment