Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dialogue

     The craft of writing dialogue should not be that difficult, should it? I mean, we talk to each other and there isn't any confusion there. Well, maybe not. When we talk to each other, unless we are clear, our words can be misunderstood. Even our body language can sometimes confuse.
     Early on I was told that my dialogue was well written. After attending several workshops and listening to several different opinions on writing dialogue, I am not so sure. In fact, I am not very sure about my writing style. But I am willing to listen and learn.
     At one workshop, the author told us that there is nothing wrong with he said, she said. In fact, it is being used too little. Too many times, writers use animal sounds (he growled, she roared). When one is writing dialogue, what the character does can show the reader exactly what tone of voice the character is using. In fact, in using a simple exclamation point, this will tell the reader that there is excitement. But don't use more than one exclamation point in a dialogue or the excitement will wear thin.
     Another item that was noted was when there are only two characters carrying on a dialogue, there is no need to use the he said, she said after every sentence. In fact, even with two pages of dialogue, just throw in a couple he saids, she said and your readers should be able to follow along pretty well. However, when you have a number of characters speaking, then it would be best to have he saids, she saids after every sentence - dialogue piece.
     Also, there was talk about using dialects in dialogue. One writer had a British character in his novel, but he only had him say Cheerio once and a few other British terms, but for the rest of the novel, the author used good old American English in the character's dialogue. I once read a novel (okay, I only read the first three pages) where the entire dialogue was in a heavy African American slang. I was totally confused by the meanings of some of the words and I had a really hard time reading the dialect. It was just too difficult to follow the meaning of what was going on. I put the book down. I suppose it all matters where you want your book to be marketed.
     Dialogue can also identify a character. I love to listen to people talk. Everyone has a different way of stating things and talking. I develop characters with certain personality traits of people I know. Then I try to have those characters talk the way that person would talk. This is something I really need to work on. I can sometimes visualize in my head, how a dialogue will go and I will sometimes talk it out loud to see if it makes sense.
      Please, realize that I do not have the answers. I am a writer who is working on improving my writing style. There are bumps along the way, where I forget. But I love writing and will continue to learn. I just love to listen and absorb. Hopefully, my writing style will improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment