Thursday, May 29, 2014

Writers conferences

     I attended the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writer's Conference May 18 to the 22nd. This was the very first overnight writer's conference I have ever attended. This conference far exceeded any expectations I had.
     First of all, I went to this conference because it was an easy drive for me. Secondly, another writer that I met at a one day conference, recommended it to me. Thirdly, I have always wanted to go to an overnight-ish writer's conference. I went totally unprepared. Well, I did take notepads and my laptop. I took business cards as well. But I did not read up on the BRMCWC website's blogs of what to expect. In other words, I went with a totally unbiased, open mind.
     I knew agents would be there. I knew authors and representatives from publishing companies would be there. I knew editors would be there. I knew there would be workshops and I went with the intention of learning writing skills. Improving my writing skills. Tips of the trade. I hoped I would learn about marketing because quite frankly, everybody and their brother has a book out on marketing and everybody has the best answer to marketing.
     I have come out of this conference with a clear goal in mind now. I entered this conference, unsure if I wanted an agent. I was unsure about wanting to go to a traditional publishing house. By day three of this conference, my head felt like it was ready to explode with all the information I had gathered.  But at least I walked away with a mountain of knowledge.  I am not sure I would have gotten so much good advice from any other type of conference.  I will write more on this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment