Friday, May 30, 2014

Outliner or Organic?

     One of the things I have heard over and over again from many writers is about the outline. Many writers have gone to great lengths to talk about their outline for their story.  Many writers have boasted about how long it took them to come up with their outline for their story. I have always sat and listened to these comments and wondered, "What?"
     I think by that single word, one can tell that I have never done an outline for any of my stories.  I do not write nonfiction and I could very well see the use of having an outline for a nonfiction book.  But for fiction?  I always have an idea for a story but there is no way I know how the story is going to progress and/or how it will end.  I write from my character's perspective and try to write with the question, "Okay, now what? What feels believable for this character and this situation?" But I have always felt like I was doing something wrong.
     Until BRMCWC and meeting Steven James. In one of his workshops and in his book "Story Trumps Structure - How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules", he talks about being an outliner or writing organic. For me, doing an outline makes sense for a nonfiction book. But doing an outline for a work of fiction, just does not make sense. When I begin a story, I have no idea how the story will end. Well, maybe just a little. But it is the characters who decide how the story will develop. It is what believably happens to the characters that determine the direction of the story. Not some predetermined outline.
     There will be supporters for outlining and there will be supporters for organic writing. As long as writers try their best to write unforgettable fiction, does it matter? For me, it does matter a little. For now, I will listen to what both sides have to offer and go with what feels best for my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment